Monday, March 28, 2011

It's a Cookbook!

A COOK BOOK!
(apologies to the Twilight Zone)

I have completed my read through of "Tcl/Tk 8 Programming Cookbook". It reads very much more like a cookbook than a novel or textbook.

I see three possible consumer groups:
  1. People who are experts at finding information from man pages (like me, and 1% of the rest of the world)
  2. People who don't like reading man pages, and are interested in learning Tcl.
  3. People who have "that Tcl app" at work, that they need to maintain once every six months.
I don't think group 1 will get a lot out of this book (I did find some lesser known switches of some commands).

However, groups 2 and 3 should benefit.

Beginners will need to read the whole book to cover everything they need. However, the "cook book" style allows you to jump to any point and try something out. That is important for a beginner, to keep the interest up ("is there something new and interesting here that is worth my learning it").

You can jump right into GUI development. That is what got me hooked on Tcl/Tk.

For people less interested in learning Tcl, but needing to solve a particular problem - the table of contents should allow you to jump right to it. No need to sift through man pages of sometimes historically named commands.

This book is up to date, preferring dictionaries (new) over arrays (old). Most of the other Tcl books are from before dictionaries. It also mentions using the new themed widgets (ttk).

No comments: