Thursday, August 12, 2010

NewStars Status

Whew, been a while... I have been putting off work on NewStars. I was afraid of "GUI load/unload", that is, the shuffling of cargo using the GUI. These orders have a separate order type from "Waypoint 0" (both happen before move). I was worried I would need to evaluate these orders in order to show the current levels on planets and in ships. Then, I would need to hide the orders in the order box, yet update the orders when the GUI instructs.

I figured out a way around all that. I left the GUI orders in place (visible and not evaluated) for loading/unloading to a planet. For ship-to-ship, I edit the XML (the reconciler handles edits in the XML).

The basic GUI is now ready:

Here we can see a transfer between the medium freighter and colony ship for player 1. The orders are executed when the window closes (I should add Cancel and Ok buttons...)

With that, everything needed to play is in the GUI!