Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Stuff I've read lately

"P is for Peril" (Sue Grafton)(audio) - Choosing an audio book from the library is always hard. There tends to only be popular fiction, and I can't always concentrate on audio (with all the crazy Maryland drivers). So, I don't even want to choose "good" stuff.

This is the second Grafton book I've read (listened to). I wasn't at all happy with this one.

First, the red herring. Totally didn't fool me, not for a minute. In fact, I thought it was so overdone that it was actually the reverse. I figured the guy was being set up, and the main character's total hatred of him (after her initial liking him) would turn out to be misplaced. Nah, he was just evil.

The ending made no sense.

We had a lot of suspects to choose from:
  1. The ex-wife.
    • Gained $1e6 after his death
    • Significant circumstantial evidence
    • Spite against current wife
  2. The business partners
    • Protect their multi-million dollar business (blame him after he's dead)
    • He was going to the FBI (they might not have known)
  3. The step daughter
    • Conceal her drug habit
    • Conceal her theft of $30k
    • Escape her "constricted" lifestyle
The ending isn't totally clear (I listened to it three times, and I'm still not sure). You can sort of convince yourself that it was the step daughter, but I think the author intended to finger the current wife...
  • Gains nothing (life insurance went to ex-wife)
  • Loses the father of her two year old
  • Couldn't have wanted to get away (he was old and a workaholic)
Boo!

No comments: