Thursday, September 21, 2006

More Laughing

Ok, today is a good day for me...

I am listening to the Way of the Master radio show. For those not familiar with the Way of the Master, it is a program for educating Christians on how to share their faith according to the Bible. Part of the show consists of the cast putting their teaching into practice on actual unbelievers.

The show is an old one from September 19. About 6 minutes in, the announcer (Todd "Freakishly Tall" Friel) makes a parallel between the Gospel message, and Oprah. He says, "If Oprah told you, 'Unless you listen to my show five days a week, you are going to Pittsburgh!', that has an impact on you."

This is funny for several reasons. The main one being that Pittsburgh is paralleled to Hell. This is funny because I spent four years in Pittsburgh, most of the time comparing it to Hell.

3 comments:

nedbrek said...

Yes, evangelization is very hard to do over email or on a web page.

The program is primarily targetting the "luke warm" Christian (there is even a great relevant Bible quote - Revelation 3:16 "So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth." - how is that for motivational speaking!)

There is no intent is being condescending with the term "the lost"; it is used repeatedly in the Bible (Matthew 10:6, Luke 19:10, 1 Corinthians 1:18, among others).

The show is very much about exposing Christians to these different views through actual recorded interviews (and providing counter arguments :)

Commander Blop said...

I always liked that Rev 3:16 quote...

I scored a 2! I am twice as good as biff!

In general I would prefer it if someone who does not respect my views lets me know, rather than pretending. Saves time and effort, and allows the real issue to be addressed (if it is worthwhile).

nedbrek said...

Yea, the quiz is a rephrase of the "mirror of the Law".

The Ten Commandments are not meant for us to live by. We just can't do it. The quiz points that out (they are heavily based off Luke 18:18-23).

Of course, they can come off a bit rough sometimes. They are particularly anti-evolution, which I feel is secondary to their main mission.