Saturday, February 05, 2011

NedNews: Motivation

I've long desired to write my own news reader. I currently use the Firefox plugin Newsfox for RSS, and Outlook Express (which is far superior to Outlook) for old-school Usenet (NNTP) news.

I would like something which I can access from multiple computers, but all the web based news readers I looked at did not store which messages are read versus unread. They also tend to only show the last few posts (I sometimes leave posts in the queue for months, and my NNTP backlog goes back two years).

Plus, Newsfox has eaten my archives on two occasions now (it seems to have problems once a feed gets to several thousand posts). And Outlook Express uses some cryptic Microsoft method for storage, which would be a pain to try and share across computers.


I have seen two posts now on Reddit, talking about "Hello world to RSS reader" (Scala and Prolog). I figure, this is the perfect time for one on Tcl!

The redditor takes a month for his projects. Given that I already have experience with Tcl, and have thought a fair amount about my newsreader - I am going to see how much I can get done in one day!

No comments: