Monday, January 03, 2011

Riverworld

I finally saw the Sci Fi channel movie adaptation of Riverworld (by Philip "The Outlaw" Jose Farmer).

I was mostly impressed. The story is fairly true to the original (including the important aspect of grail slavery). They even managed to fit in the airship, although some characters were shuffled.

The most disappointing aspect for me was the not-so-fabulous riverboat. It looked like an ordinary riverboat. And instead of steam-driven machine guns, it had a small cannon on the front (like an age of rifles cannon).

I was also surprised by the ending. Although the books didn't exactly end well either (I don't even remember the ending!)

2 comments:

jdevale said...

I never read this, is it worth it?

nedbrek said...

I would definitely recommend "The Fabulous Riverboat" (which is second in the series). Just as exposure to Farmer's style, and the unusual ideas he has.

If you like it and want more, go back and read the first ("To Your Scattered Bodies Go", awesome title).

That's actually the order I read them in.

The later books drop off in quality.