Friday, November 12, 2010

Stuff I've read lately

"Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" (Seth Grahame Smith)(audio) - It's funny, the book is actually listed as "by Jane Austen and Seth Smith". It's really a good idea; take an old stuffy book and add in a bunch of scenes with zombies.

A similar book was Philip Jose Farmer's "The Other Log of Phileas Fogg" (based on "Around the World in 80 Days"). In that book, Farmer created a whole story in between the breaks in the original.

Here, Smith took the original text, then made slight changes. It actually had me going for a while. I considered going through the original to find the differences (did Wickham really get crippled?). Then I realized, wait "Pride and Prejudice" was one of the worst books I ever had to read! (The worst being "The Illustrated Man" and second worst being "Where the Red Fern Grows")

Sadly, the book did need more zombies. It is a hard trade off - keeping the original text, and adding enough zombies to make it interesting.

I almost want to grab the text for "Old Man and the Sea" and make "Old Man and the Sea and Zombies" (Zombie fish? Drowned?).

No comments: