Friday, May 14, 2010

git clone harrier

Well, I've started to get a feel for git, and it is not a good feeling.

It is the sort of, hollow, cold feeling you get when you see a Pat bus driving down the street.

I have been reading a lot, trying to figure out what is going on.

For personal projects, it is fine. If a little weird. "git commit -a" (not recommended, but sometimes you want to save some typing) misses new files. git diff doesn't always work right (show me what I've changed), sometimes you need to say "git diff HEAD".

At work, it has been more disastrous.

I admit, the first time, I gave it the hardest possible problem. I branched, then reformatted all the code. The next merge was totally hosed.

Ok, that was a hard problem, I can forgive that (although git seemed even more confused than svn - I find svn merge to be very good, git feels closer to the old cvs merge).

Then, I made some straight forward changes on another branch.

Still I get all sorts of weird merge conflicts.

Ugh.

I have had some success messing around with rebase. Still not convinced it is a good idea...

No comments: